Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker pregnancy

Friday, December 08, 2006

Favorite Ingredient Friday



PEANUT BRITTLE

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. baking soda

Directions
Heat and stir sugar, syrup and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Add salt. Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage (234 degrees). Add peanuts at 250 degrees. Cook to hard crack stage (290 degrees), stirring often. Remove from heat.

Quickly, stir in butter and soda. Beat to a froth for a few seconds. Pour at once onto 2 well-buttered 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch pans, spreading with spatula. If desired, cool slightly and pull with forks to stretch thin. Break up when cold.

Makes about 1 1/2 pounds of brittle.

*I must admit to you guys that this is not the recipe I've used in the past. In my move from Ohio to Connecticut, I can't find the recipe I used in the past, but this one is the closest that I've been able to find. I just hope it comes out just as good!!!

For more Favorite Ingredient Fridays, go to Overwhelmed WIth Joy!

9 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Jessica, this brittle recipe is just in time for the holidays! I'll have to make it and add it to my plate of goodies that I intend to give my neighbors. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also for taking the time to participate in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange! I do appreciate it!

Ms. Kathleen said...

I LOVE peanut brittle. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I think I'm going to make candy again this year for my Christmas gifts. This looks perfect. Thanks!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Your recipe looks yummy and easy! Thanks for sharing:)

Michelle said...

Joe has relatives who make peanut brittle every year and it's really good. I think I might just have to try this one!

Rae said...

I'm actually making this tomorrow! Thanks for sharing =)

Unknown said...

I've never had Peanut Brittle, I've heard of it though. I'll have to try the recipe!

The Mom said...

YUM - I want some!!! I'm goign to have to try this out!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My father loves peanut brittle, but has only had it out of the box. He will be so excited with homemade peanut brittle. I never thought to make it. It sounds so easy too! Thanks!

Yum.